CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Slave Narrative -Olidah Equiano's account of the Middle Passage


http://www.janaedwards.com/AmericanLit.html

"I believe there are few events in my life which have not happened to many; it is true the incidents of it are numerous, and, did I consider myself an European, I might say my sufferings were great; but when I compare my lot with that of most of my countrymen, I regard myself as a particular favorite of heaven, and acknowledge the mercies of Providence in every occurrence of my life."




Reflection:
This is a great piece of literature. In this narrative, Equaino shares the story of life as a slave. I glad that we have some type message from a slave from the past who could tell what life was really like as a slave. Even though he was a slave he was able to ge an education which some masters banned from slaves. This also made him better than the uneducated slaves. Education has great power because you are smarter than the normal slave but many masters really didnt want a smart slave because they might be able to out smart them. This man was so bold he stood up for what he thought was right. Such as when the man tried to give him another name but he didnt agree with it. He was punish until he was able to accept the name the man gave him. That incident reminds me of the movies "Roots" when they tried to give the man the toby and he didnt accept it,he was beaten until he could accept it. This prove that this man was a strong minded man. I like the fact that I was able to read something from a past slave.


Diary

Dear Diary,
I am a slave. My life is ruled by the white man. I don't his has control over me because i have one of the most powerful things, education. With my education I think that I am better than the uneducated slaves. I feel as if I am a strong willed person who stands up for what I believe. The other day they tried to change my name. I told him that wasn't my name, he actually beat until accepted the name that he gave me. I feel that was so disrespectful, he tried to take my pride from me. I think slavery is wrong and it should stop. No one person should be able to control no other person because of the color of their skin. Everyone was created equally by God so everyone should be treated equally.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

You might want to watch some of your wording. In the reflection you might want to be more specific and word some things different. Your diary was pretty good and I like the way you started out!
Jenn